Monday, August 18, 2014

Adventure #1 - Getzy is Mine!

August 13, 2014. It was a busy day for me. There were so many defects that I had to fix in the application that we have created for our client.

Oh, by the way, I am a Software Engineer. We create websites and other applications using Java platform. I work at a business district about 6-7km away from my home. And on this day, I chose to commute to work because it was planned that I'll be bringing home my newly purchased car, Getzy.

I took the public transpo early in the morning, and that was the longest 6-7kms I've traveled ever. Well, at least ever since I started driving going to office.

My emotions were mixed-up the whole day: the stress I felt during my commute; the thought that the number of defects our team was fixing are endless; the excitement that I'm about to get my first car; the fear that I might not be able to handle it as I was only able to drive only four cars in my entire life, and so much other more things. I was even thinking about my teammates that we've been teasing to date each other.

At 3pm, I left our office with all of those emotions. I'm off to Mandaluyong to meet the husband of my girlfriend's boss, who owns the car.

Unfortunately, MRT, as usual, had technical problems. And so, again, that was the longest time it took me to go there, at least ever since I started driving to go wherever.

Luckily, I got there just in time. Few minutes later, the car seller arrived. We talked for a while, and even had photo ops by the mural at my girlfriend's office. He handed me the keys and the contract, and I sent him the money online.

We stayed there up until my girlfriend and her boss is ready to go home, probably around an hour. The only problem is that I was already hungry that time. A good thing though, her officemates were funny.

And so, it finally came down to the wire. We went to the parking, accompanied by my girlfriend's boss and her husband to take us to Getzy. We took some photos, and left us some final reminders.

My girlfriend and I stayed at the parking for a few more minutes in awe. This is in spite the fact that we were both hungry. We put on our seat belts, I started the engine, played with the clutch and the stick shift a little bit to feel the car, stepped on the gas while on neutral, then we checked the lights, the doors and even the papers of the car. Although of course we were able to check all of those before we bought the car.

It's a funny thing though that we had trouble turning the air-con on. At first it was blowing warm air. Fortunately we were able to figure things out before we were fried in our own sweat. Of course, we didn't forget to take the obligatory selfies inside the car.

Finally, we decided to go. I stepped on the clutch and the brakes, placed the stick to the first gear, released the handbrake then the brakes and slowly releasing the clutch while stepping on the gas. After the side mirrors of Getzy exceeded the car parked beside us, I slowly turned the wheel. Yatta! We were on the streets, and the next thing we know, we were on the road.

I must say, Getzy is in great shape. It looks good both inside and out. Although it has a few light scratches, but of course that's normal. The engine sounds good as well. Thanks to the previous owner for taking good care of it.

It really felt good driving my first car.

First photo inside Getzy

2 comments: